Thanksgiving Pet Safety
Thanksgiving is just around the corner and the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) has some great pet safety tips for you and your family to use during this joyous holiday.
- Keep the feast on the table- Eating turkey or turkey skin sometimes even a small amount can cause a threatening condition in pets known as pancreatitis. Fatty foods are hard for animals to digest, and many foods that are healthy for people are poisonous to pets like onions, raisins and grapes.
- No pie or other desserts for your pooch- Chocolate can be harmful for pets, even though many dogs find it tempting and will sniff it out and eat it. The artificial sweetener called xylitol (commonly used in gum and sugar-free baked goods) also can be deadly if consumed by dogs or cats.
- Yeast dough can cause problems for pets- Including painful gas and potentially dangerous bloating.
- Put the trash away where your pets can't find it- A turkey carcass sitting out on the carving table, or left in a trash container that is open or easily opened, could be deadly to your family pet. Dispose of turkey carcasses and bones in a covered, tightly secured trash bag placed in a closed trash container outdoors.
- Be careful with decorative plants- Don't forget that some flowers and festive plants can be toxic to pets. These include Amaryllis, Baby's breath, Sweet William, some ferns, Hydrangeas and more. The ASPCA offers lists of plants that are toxic to both dogs and cats, nut the safest route is simply to keep your pets away from all plants and table decorations.
For more essential information you can visit the AVMA and ASPCA website.
Do you have fire damage?
Even if burns are not very deep, a fire can leave obvious visual blemishes across a home. Stains and burn marks can happen to any material, from wallpaper to wood to glass to laminate, and each of these materials and types of burns can require a different approach to clean up properly. Our SERVPRO of Hacienda Heights & Rowland Heights technicians are trained extensively and have access to tools that ensure that every job gets done right the first time. We are also part of a national network for disaster mitigation.
-Many burns from a fire damage are virtually harmless for the building in question. Aside from discoloration and perhaps a layer of smoke residue, these burns have done very little to degrade the material they coat. Typically, these are easy for our technicians to deal with, requiring only a thorough cleaning with professional grade detergents, hand tools, sponges and repainting.
-Some types of smoke may leave stains on various materials, especially when mixed with water. Smoke can be tough to remove without damaging many materials. To name a few materials, upholstery, wood, carpet, fabric, and tile grout all require careful attention to adequately and safely clean away the smoke. Smoke and soot can dig deep into a material, sometimes requiring thorough washing or dry cleaning to remove effectively. The nature of the smoke, whether it is wet or dry, is a key factor in utilizing correct IICRC best practices for restoration. We realize the acidic nature of this com-busted residue and how pitting can harm many surfaces.
-When a fire has burned around an object or surface, it usually causes both visual and structural damage. Materials are often heavily degraded or deformed and discoloration is typically pervasive. Again, different materials can require different approaches, with flammables such as wood, fabric and upholstery requiring especially extensive restorations or perhaps replacement.
Mold is one of those bacteria's that can be all around us looking for a nice place to settle and grow. Houses are warm and are usually made with wood and paper, all the things that mold spores are seeking. Introduce some water and we have the third element which is now leads to growth.
Kitchens are notorious for leaks and things that happen involving water. The cabinets keep these things hidden. When was the last time you moved all those bags, cleaners and other stuff that lies under your kitchen sink to look for leaks and mold growth? we don't and by the time we find it, it's too late.
This is sometimes a case of a leak in the drain coming from the upstairs behind the dishwasher. Never was this noticed until water became visible, which by then was too late. When we side behind the cabinets. None of this was able to be seen.
SERVPRO of Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights are here to help and is just a call away! (909) 598-8400.
Some Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is just around the corner and is definitely an exciting time for the kids and family. Here are some safety tips from AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) that your family can use to have a safe and fun filled Halloween.
All Dressed up:
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure that shoes fit well and that costumes are short enough to prevent tripping, entanglement or contact with flame.
- Consider adding reflective tape or striping to costumes and trick-or-treat bags for greater visibility.
- Because masks can limit or block eyesight, consider non-toxic makeup and decorative hats as safer alternatives. Hats should fit properly to prevent them from sliding over eyes. Makeup should be tested ahead of time on a small patch of skin to ensure there are no unpleasant surprises in the big day.
- When shopping for costumes, wigs and accessories look for and purchase those with a label clearly indicating they are flame resistant.
- If a sword, cane, or stick is a part of your child's costume, make sure it is not sharp or long. A child may be easily hurt by these accessories if he stumbles or trips.
Carving a Niche:
- Small children should never carve pumpkins. Children can draw a face with markers. Then parents can do the carving.
- Consider using a flashlight or glow stick instead of a candle to light your pumpkin. If you do use a candle, a votive candle is safest.
- Candlelit pumpkins should be placed on a sturdy table, away from curtains and other flammable objects, and not on a porch or any path where visitors may pass close by. They should never be left unattended.
Home Safe Home:
- To keep homes safe for visiting trick-or-treaters, parents should remove from the porch and front yard anything a child could trip over such as garden hoses, toys, bikes and lawn decorations.
On the Trick-or-Treat trail:
- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children on their neighborhood rounds.
- Obtain flashlights with fresh batteries for all children and their escorts.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
Do You Know Who to Call After a Fire?
When you find yourself in a situation where your property has experienced fire damage, responding appropriately and immediately is important. If action isn't taken quickly, your home could be subjected to secondary water damage from the fire departments extinguishing efforts resulting in additional structural damage and health hazards. The best course of action to take during the aftermath of a fire is to hire a fire damage restoration company. SERVPRO offers the following information to help you in your quest for a return to normalcy.
- Obtain a referral from your insurance agent: A great strategy you can use is gaining help from a fire damage restoration company is to request a referral from your insurance company. Insurance companies have a list of preferred vendors. SERVPRO is one such provider whose name is on over 315 lists from insurance companies, property management firms, and local, state, and federal agencies. An added benefit of acquiring a referral from your insurance provider is that it increases the likelihood that your insurance adjuster and the restoration representatives will work well together.
- Do your Research: After the fire, it's critical that you obtain services from the best company out there. Follow your agents advice. But also, if you feel more comfortable, research on your own. You need to select a fire damage restoration company that offers a wide range of services.
- HVAC system cleaning of smoke and soot
- Debris safely removed
- Extensive water extraction and drying
- Potential structural rebuild, repair before replacing to mitigate costs
3. Why choose SERVPRO:
- 24/7 Emergency Services
- IICRC-Certified Fire Damage Clean up Specialists
- Fast Response
- Trusted Industry Leader with more than 1,650 Franchises, localized for your particular needs
- Preferred vendor for many local and National Insurance and Property Management Companies
What's Slumbering in your Air Ducts?
Dust, Pet dander and other containment's from everyday living are circulated through your ducts and can decrease the efficiency of your HVAC heating and cooling system causing it to work much harder. Keeping the duct work clean can extend the life span of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which saves you money.
Duct Cleaning Can:
- Remediate bacteria, fungi and mold
- Reduce potential for mold growth
- Restore peak energy efficiency
- Eliminate offensive odors
Since the ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality, keeping your duct-work clean should be a high priority. In most cases, the HVAC system has been operating for some time without much attention. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold and irritating dust throughout your building or home. These contaminants from day to day living are sucked into your HVAC system and re-circulated throughout your home over and over. This causes a buildup over time inside the dust-work.
SERVPRO can quickly protect your home after a Storm
Following a storm flood or fire, water cleanup in Hacienda Heights, California is the first and one of the most important processes that you will need to have done. In the event that you don't complete the water removal process immediately, your property can be subjected to a plethora of unwanted, unnecessary complications such as mold growth, loss of possessions, and structural damage. If you find yourself in need of water damage services, it's important to find a skilled team of restoration experts like SERVPRO of Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights. We can expedite the water extraction, cleaning, repair, and restoration components of the process.
- Water cleanup prevents Mold and Mildew growth: One of the reasons for securing the services of an experienced water damage cleanup company is inhibiting the growth of mold and mildew in your home. Unfortunately, these fungi can begin thriving and expanding on your property 48-72 hours after the initial water intrusion. Moreover, the moist, warm conditions created by water damage make your residential property a prime location in which mold can develop and proliferate.
- Prevent or Diminish Secondary Water Damage to the structure of your home: Another great benefit of rapid water removal is that it prevents structural damage from adversely impacting your property. When left unaddressed for an extended time, the water can wick into walls, and studs, rust appliances, and damage the electrical system. If a natural flooding disaster occurred, then the foundation could also have been compromised.
Our SERVPRO team is trained to assess and then remediate your Mold Damage
In any presence of water damage, mold growth or must odors needs to be addressed right away. In all cases, any source of water has to be found and corrected, and the extent of water damage and mold growth figured out. Materials that are water damaged should be taken out of the home or cleaned and dried.
Trained professionals, like our SERVPRO staff, should be hired to take care of any mold damage in Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights. They can develop a site-specific plan and assess the extent of your moisture problem. Whoever you hire, they should be following all EPA guidelines and health regulations to keep them and your family safe during the entire process.
- Visual Inspection: This is the most important step in finding a possible mold problem and planning out remediation strategies. The extent of any mold growth and water damage should be assessed visually and the affected materials in your home identified. This visual inspection should include observations of hidden areas where damage might be found, like attics, crawl spaces and behind drywall. Carpet padding and backing, moldings, wallpaper, insulation and other materials that could be harbingers of mold growth should be assessed as well. Our SERVPRO technicians use personal protective gear like respiratory protection and gloves, in efforts to lower the generation and mitigation of any mold and dust.
- Remediation: The goal here is to clean or remove any materials that are damaged by mold using work practices which protect you and your family by controlling the spread of mold from the work area and also to protect workers doing the remediation. The known remediation methods were made to achieve this goal, but they are not meant to exclude other methods which could be effective and aren't a substitute for a worm plan that is site-specific.
What to do if a fire starts!
If a Fire Starts:
- Know how to safely operate a fire extinguisher
- Remember to GET OUT, stay out and call 9-1-1 or your local emergency phone number.
- Yell "Fire!" several times and go outside right away. If you live in a building with elevators, use the stairs. Leave all your things where they are and save yourself.
- If closed doors or handles are warm or smoke blocks your primary escape route, use your second way out. Never open doors that are warm to the touch.
- If you must escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your exit. Close doors behind you.
- If smoke, heat or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with doors closed. Place a wet towel under the door and call the fire department or 9-1-1. Open a window and wave a brightly colored cloth or flashlight to signal for help.
- Once you are outside, go to your meeting place and then send one person to call the fire department. If you cannot get to your meeting place, follow your family emergency communication plan.
If your clothes catch on Fire:
- Stop what you're doing.
- Drop to the ground and cover your face if you can.
- Roll over and over or back and forth until the flames go out. Running will only make the fire burn faster.
For this and more information please visit www.redcross.org
SERVPRO does provide Commercial Fire Damage Services
Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights commercial fire damage can leave some or all areas of your property unusable until repair work can be completed. When your workplace has been impacted by a fire, you will want to get repairs started as quickly as possible so that the property can be restored and fully functional. Finding the fastest and most reliable method of fire damage restoration is crucial. Your business operations downtime must be kept to a minimum.
Determining the scope of work:
When you are dealing with commercial fire damage, the scope of work that needs to be accomplished starts with a thorough assessment. The destruction generally includes more than just burned damage to the structure, business equipment and documents. In many instances, smoke, as well as water from firefighter’s efforts, will ruin one or more areas of the property. Smoke damage may be present throughout the entire property in some cases.
Exploring repair options;
Many steps may be required to improve the property after you have a commercial fire damage. For example, you may need to remove drywall that has been damaged by smoke or water from the fire event. You may also need to be fully reconstructed, such as those that have been burned by the flames. When you are preparing for fire damage repair services, it is important to consider all aspects of the work that needs to be done before you decide how to process. Then call SERVPRO of Walnut. Your time and lost business revenue should be of paramount importance. Business interruption insurance can help push through this horrid event.
Getting timely results:
While you need all of the work completed with professional results, you also need them preformed promptly so that operations can resume in full swing as soon as possible. You could attempt to contract with different service providers to repair the various types of damage on the property, but this is often not the most efficient method available. Working with one company like SERVPRO that has the skills and experience to handle all aspects of the repair process may be the most effective option available. From the initial inspection to the final walk-thru, your doors will be reopened as soon as possible.