Our SERVPRO team is trained to assess and then remediate your Mold Damage
In any presence of water damage, mold growth or must odors needs to be addressed right away. In all cases, any source of water has to be found and corrected, and the extent of water damage and mold growth figured out. Materials that are water damaged should be taken out of the home or cleaned and dried.
Trained professionals, like our SERVPRO staff, should be hired to take care of any mold damage in Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights. They can develop a site-specific plan and assess the extent of your moisture problem. Whoever you hire, they should be following all EPA guidelines and health regulations to keep them and your family safe during the entire process.
- Visual Inspection: This is the most important step in finding a possible mold problem and planning out remediation strategies. The extent of any mold growth and water damage should be assessed visually and the affected materials in your home identified. This visual inspection should include observations of hidden areas where damage might be found, like attics, crawl spaces and behind drywall. Carpet padding and backing, moldings, wallpaper, insulation and other materials that could be harbingers of mold growth should be assessed as well. Our SERVPRO technicians use personal protective gear like respiratory protection and gloves, in efforts to lower the generation and mitigation of any mold and dust.
- Remediation: The goal here is to clean or remove any materials that are damaged by mold using work practices which protect you and your family by controlling the spread of mold from the work area and also to protect workers doing the remediation. The known remediation methods were made to achieve this goal, but they are not meant to exclude other methods which could be effective and aren't a substitute for a worm plan that is site-specific.
What to do if a fire starts!
If a Fire Starts:
- Know how to safely operate a fire extinguisher
- Remember to GET OUT, stay out and call 9-1-1 or your local emergency phone number.
- Yell "Fire!" several times and go outside right away. If you live in a building with elevators, use the stairs. Leave all your things where they are and save yourself.
- If closed doors or handles are warm or smoke blocks your primary escape route, use your second way out. Never open doors that are warm to the touch.
- If you must escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your exit. Close doors behind you.
- If smoke, heat or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with doors closed. Place a wet towel under the door and call the fire department or 9-1-1. Open a window and wave a brightly colored cloth or flashlight to signal for help.
- Once you are outside, go to your meeting place and then send one person to call the fire department. If you cannot get to your meeting place, follow your family emergency communication plan.
If your clothes catch on Fire:
- Stop what you're doing.
- Drop to the ground and cover your face if you can.
- Roll over and over or back and forth until the flames go out. Running will only make the fire burn faster.
For this and more information please visit www.redcross.org
SERVPRO does provide Commercial Fire Damage Services
Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights commercial fire damage can leave some or all areas of your property unusable until repair work can be completed. When your workplace has been impacted by a fire, you will want to get repairs started as quickly as possible so that the property can be restored and fully functional. Finding the fastest and most reliable method of fire damage restoration is crucial. Your business operations downtime must be kept to a minimum.
Determining the scope of work:
When you are dealing with commercial fire damage, the scope of work that needs to be accomplished starts with a thorough assessment. The destruction generally includes more than just burned damage to the structure, business equipment and documents. In many instances, smoke, as well as water from firefighter’s efforts, will ruin one or more areas of the property. Smoke damage may be present throughout the entire property in some cases.
Exploring repair options;
Many steps may be required to improve the property after you have a commercial fire damage. For example, you may need to remove drywall that has been damaged by smoke or water from the fire event. You may also need to be fully reconstructed, such as those that have been burned by the flames. When you are preparing for fire damage repair services, it is important to consider all aspects of the work that needs to be done before you decide how to process. Then call SERVPRO of Walnut. Your time and lost business revenue should be of paramount importance. Business interruption insurance can help push through this horrid event.
Getting timely results:
While you need all of the work completed with professional results, you also need them preformed promptly so that operations can resume in full swing as soon as possible. You could attempt to contract with different service providers to repair the various types of damage on the property, but this is often not the most efficient method available. Working with one company like SERVPRO that has the skills and experience to handle all aspects of the repair process may be the most effective option available. From the initial inspection to the final walk-thru, your doors will be reopened as soon as possible.
What is involved in a Water Damage Inspection?
- What is Involved in a Water Damage Inspection?
In the aftermath of a flood or a house fire, it is important to have a water damage inspection conducted, so that the extent of water damage to the home and your possessions can be determined. You will need to do this, as it will provide you with a good idea of what needs to be replaced in your home, as well as providing your insurance adjuster with what they need in order to adjust your claim for damage with speed and efficiency. You can hire professional water damage inspectors, who frequently tend to by employed by water damage restoration companies. Water damage inspections entail a great deal, and it can really be to your benefit to be knowledgeable about the process.
- Inspection for Potential Structural Damage
In the course of a water damage inspection, the professional who comes to your home will usually begin outside and proceed inside the house. If your water damage is severe, it would be advisable to keep a record like videos or photos of the damaged areas so that you can get the payment you need from your insurance company.
- Water Damage Inspection on the Inside
When the inspectors get to the interior of your home during a water damage inspection, they will typically begin at the top of the house and work downwards. They will start with the attic, checking for cracked floors and joists, wet ceilings, insulation with excess water, and duct-work that is bent or distorted. When they get to the rooms within the other parts of your home, they will look for damaged ceilings and drywall, wood that is stained or warped, windows that are cracked, and doors that are unable to properly close. Once they are in the kitchen and the bathroom, they will look at the ceramic fixtures, such as toilets, bathtubs, sinks, and carpets, cracked floors and walls. They will also look at personal possessions that may be damaged by water, such as clothes, furniture, appliances, and electronics.
- Why it is Important to hire a Professional to Perform a Water Damage Inspection
Professional water damage inspectors are qualified to inspect your home, as they have the extensive training, experience, and specialized equipment to make sure that they are able to correctly and effectively find any water damage that is present in your home. They have moisture sensor probes, which can detect the amount of moisture in your carpets and walls. Additionally, they use infrared thermograph devices so that they can check the parts of your home that are not visible.
Three Categories of Water Damage
A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage in an affected area. According to IICRC Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Water Damage Restoration, there are three categories of water that cause damage in buildings. They are summarized as Follows:
- Category 1 Water: That which is clean at the releasing source and does not pose a hazard if consumed by humans. Category 1 Water may become progressively contaminated as it mixes with soils on or within floor coverings or building assemblies (walls, decking, and sub-flooring). Time and temperature, which promote the growth and amplification of microorganisms in water, can cause category 1 water to degrade. Some examples are burst water pipes, failed supply lines on appliances, vertically falling rainwater.
- Category 2 Water: That which begins with some degree of contamination and could cause sickness or discomfort if consumed by humans. As with category 1 water, time and temperature can cause category 2 water to become progressively more contaminated.
- Category 3 Water: That which is highly contaminated and could cause death or serious illness if consumed by humans. Examples: Sewage, rising flood water from rivers and streams, ground surface water flowing horizontally into homes. There are two ways in which water enters a building as a result of wind storm damage.
SERVPRO Steps to Restore your Fire Damaged Home!
A severe situation is given with any Fire Damaged residential or commercial property. If you try to complete the remediation process on your own, you will often expose yourself to health and safety hazards that may lead to injury. For these reasons and more, call a professional fire damage restoration team like SERVPRO of Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights is the most prudent course of action when disaster strikes your residential property. Learn more about how remediation experts can assist you with the property restoration process with some informative steps below:
- Fire Damage Remediation Techniques: There are many factors and services involved to restore your property following a fire. Some are drying the property, cleaning the HVAC system, rebuilding the damaged structures of the property, and removing non-salvageable goods.
- Drying Your Home or Property following a fire is important: Typically, firefighters perform extinguishing work that leaves excessive water in your living space. This standing and hidden water creates the perfect breeding ground for mold if left unattended. To prevent a mold infestation which usually starts within 48-72 hours after water intrusion, SERVPRO of Walnut will extract volumes of water using powerful pumps, and wet vacs. Now additional drying and moisture removal can begin using specialized equipment like air-moving machines and dehumidifiers.
- HVAC System: Residual particulates from a house fire coat the coils and filters of HVAC systems with debris and soot. Soot is not smoke, but an oily by-product of partially com-busted materials like plastics and vinyl.The Duct work must also be cleaned and deodorized. Special techniques, along with IICRC and corporate training enable our technicians to complete successfully this wipe down and clean up stage. If this process is done properly, staining, painting, and replacement of drywall and ceilings are minimized, along with your costs.
- Structural Repair: When a fire damage has comprised structural materials such as trusses, floor joists, drywall, and the electrical or plumbing systems, then the affected areas may have to be replaced. When feasible, repair is done before replacement. Our fire damage restoration experts can complete this work, or we can work and instruct your building contractors on your behalf.
- Removing Non-salvageable Materials: SERVPRO of Walnut utilizes a corporate level developed technology called contents claim inventory service (CCIS) that inventories all household content. Categorizing of these items is then made as salvageable, non-salvageable, or questionable. The CCIS benefits you regarding the claims process with your insurance adjuster. We will help and cooperate with your okay. Fire damaged items beyond repair must be disposed of properly. If not, these items could contaminate other areas of the property.
If a Fire Damage or Water Damage has happened at your residential or commercial property Call SERVPRO of Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights (626) 964-7700 to assist you right away!
Restrain Humidity in your Home to Diminish the Risk of Mold Infestations
Consistent use of your shower, as well as cooking and cleaning appliances can cause mold to spread throughout your property. There are several ways for this type of infestation to run rampant in your home, but what is it, and how can you help decrease exposure?
If you suspect that your home has mold damage, locate a certified professional to assist with the repairs and cleaning before things get out of hand. At SERVPRO of Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights we become more aware of molds and fungi, it is our responsibility to understand them, find out why they exist and get the proper help to control the spread in any home.
- We experience new species regularly: No one knows how many types there are, yet. Molds exist both indoors and outdoors, within our environment, in the air that we breathe, the food and water that we consume, everywhere around us. We also know that various types of airborne molds and spores may cause health effects in certain people if exposed to the right quantity.
- We have also learned that mold and fungus can grow at the highest rate when inside of warm, damp, humid environments, and spread quickly through the reproduction of microscopic spores. They can even survive harsh dry or cold environments that limit or completely stop normal mold growth, mainly waiting for the right conditions to exist.
- Mold growth inside of your home is controllable: It is when things get out of control that you need professional help from a company like SERVPRO. We can help you learn how to control your humidity levels inside and properly ventilate your showers and cooking areas to prevent growth from forming.
SERVPRO of Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights technicians can also help you learn which products to use for cleaning smaller contaminated areas. However, when the area exceeds 10 square feet, professional assistance may be necessary to clean the area and mitigate damages properly. It is unlikely that you have the experience or equipment needed to handle a job of larger size and most homeowners find that they make the problem bigger by attempting to do it themselves. We suggest leaving grappling with mold in the hands of the professionals.
If your residential or commercial property sustains flood damage
It is tragic when a flood brings devastation and water damage to your home. But rapid water removal, clean up and repairs certainly must get under way for your home to get back to normal with minimal losses. Safety is a top priority. After the flood damage, evaluation of the home's safety issues must be completed before you dare to enter your home again.
In times like this is when it is best to call your insurance company or agent to ascertain if you are covered under your standard home owner's policy or if you do possess flood insurance. An insurance adjuster will be dispatched to your property to inspect the damage and eventually offer a settlement. Ask for help in retaining a competent water damage restoration company like SERVPRO of Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights We can assess and document all water damaged items, help you with your claims and paperwork, and expedite the water removal and restoration. We can check your home for structural damage and any possible electrical issues since water and electricity are a dangerous duo. This inspection will indicate to you the severity of the water damage that your home has suffered and any potential health issues you may have to address during the process of getting the flood damage repairs done on your home.
Once you have done the documentation and the adjuster had done his inspection, then the clean up starts to get under way. The home needs to be made dry and needs to be cleaned up as soon as possible to prevent any other damage from occurring. This will also lessen the likelihood of mold and mildew growth. Contamination is a given if the flooding is the result of groundwater intrusion, whether from rain, bodies of water, or a sewage blockage. Do not attempt to clean and sanitize on your own. The potential for future illness is too great.
It is wise to call the professionals from SERVPRO of Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights; because we can immediately begin to pump out the water and mitigate on-going water damage, and they have the skill and knowledge. Along with the professional equipment required to start and complete the entire restoration process for you.
Always be sure to clean your gutters
During long summer days, it is easy to forget that there is always a possibility of a downpour! Air conditioning maintenance and Air Duct cleaning are essential for any home. Do not neglect the outside, summer rains can bring high damaging winds that dislodge branches from trees which may look to find a new home on top of yours. So, it is definitely essential after any storm to inspect your rain gutters, all you would need is a ladder, gloves, protective goggles, a water hose and a scoop.
There are 3 easy steps to clean your gutters:
- Use a ladder to reach your gutters and begin to scoop, start from the end closest to the drain outlet. For faster cleanup in the end, toss the offending material into a bucket on the ground.
- With a water hose in tow, spray a steady stream of water through the gutters towards the drain outlet. This is much easier using a hose with a pressure gauge for high and low power, but any will work just as well.
- Make sure to check your drainpipes for any blockages. Hopefully any potential blocks are minimized by scooping out the debris before it makes it into the pipes. However, there are instances where the rain storms forced material into the pipes. If you see a trickle instead of a flow coming from your pipes, use the hose at the top of the gutter and spray directly into the outlet. For harder to reach items, try a plumber's snake.
For more tips for your home visit: hometips.com
Wet insulation is One Hidden Hazard
Insulation can become wet in a variety of ways. A pipe could burst, a seam could have been improperly welded or there could be a puncture somewhere on your roofing system, along with a wide variety of other possibilities. However, just fixing the leak is not enough; the wet insulation must be removed.
Here are 3 points that explain the ramifications of not tearing out wet insulation.
- Structural Stability: As discussed, wet insulation can negatively impact your entire building. The trapped moisture can begin to degrade your roofing system starting with the deck and working its way out. Rotting can occur and lead to collapses throughout the structure. There is also the overall weight burden to consider. As the insulation collects moisture, it gets increasingly heavier. The pressure can be catastrophic to the building and lead to complete system collapse.
- Energy Efficiency Compromised: The occupation of wet insulation in your roof will generally negate the energy efficiency benefits of your roofing system. This is due to the fact that the moisture is acting as a conductor of energy rather than repelling it as it is designed. Your building will now require more heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer, resulting in higher utility bills. Moisture can cause your insulation to lose as much as 40% of its thermal residence capabilities.
- Indoor Air Quality: It is highly likely that your building is being occupied for a good portion of the day and/or night depending on what industry you are in. As a result, air quality is incredibly important. If your insulation in your roof is wet, mold and bacteria can grow. Not a good sign for healthy air or happy occupants. The longer you leave the wet insulation untreated, the greater the potential danger to your occupants.