Be prepared for the next storm
Tips from FEMA for preparing your home or business for a flood.
Before the Flood:
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater and electrical panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Installing "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home or business.
- Seal walls in basement with waterproofing compounds to help avoid seepage.
During the Flood:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches of valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
After the Flood:
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community's water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 626-964-7700