How to Prepare before a Hurricane Hits
With June 1st being the beginning of the Hurrican Season 2021 for our neighbors on the East Coast/Atlantic Ocean. Here are a few tips on how to prepare for this years Hurricane Season.There are several things you can do to prepare for a hurricane to lessen the property damage that may occur.
- To prevent windows from breaking, board them up by securing plywood over them or installing permanent storm shutters.
- You can reduce damage to your roof by fashioning straps from the roof to the structure of your home.
- Clear gutters from debris that may clog downspouts and aid in flooding.
- Secure boats and other water vehicles.
- Elevate basement items in case flooding does occur those items won't get ruined.
- Fill your vehicles up with fuel and keep a spare gas tank filled and accessible.
- Construct an emergency survival kit with enough supplies to last at least three days.
These are all recommendations from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). If you need assistance keep your local SERVPRO's phone number on hand they can assist when needed.